3/11/15

Splintered by A.G. Howard Review!




12558285

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence.

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

   I was shocked at how captivating Splintered was. Usually I'm not that intrigued by gothic style novels, but this one knocks all the rest out of the park. Splintered is full of adventure, mystery, and twists that will have you wondering if you’re as mad as a hatter. I loved every moment of this book even when I hated them, if that makes sense. The journey this book took me on had me intrigued, sad, and hopeful.

   Alyssa is a character that is one to rival the best of them. I loved her personality. She is strong, opinionated, caring, and extremely thoughtful. She is the type of heroine to take charge and one that you will always cheer for. Jeb is the perfect hero that this story needed. He is overprotective, often oblivious to Alyssa's feelings for him, and so in love it's endearing. Also, it’s a MAJOR plus that he has a lip piercing *melts*. Then there is Morpheus. He is a characters that I loved and hated all at once. By the end of Splintered, I had no idea what to think of him. He is one to look out for.

   Alyssa's adventure in wonderland made me see the world of Wonderland in a whole new scary light. The Wonderland in this book is as haunting and creepy as you would imagine, and Howard does a beautiful job of making Wonderland come to life. She also does an amazing job of changing everything you thought you knew about Wonderland. Splintered will have you on the edge of your seat and questioning everything with every twist and turn the book takes. It will leave you wondering if it isn't you who has gone mad in the best way possible.

   Splintered is a very dark and gothic twist to Wonderland that is full of whimsical descriptions and magical story building. This book is as ridiculous and fantastical as wonderland itself. I loved every minute of it. I will admit that the gothic feel of this book took some getting used to because I have never read a book like it before, but once I got past the first few chapters I fell into the book. After that I couldn't stop reading. I would have read this book in one sitting if college classes hadn't gotten in the way. I highly recommend this book to Alice in Wonderland fans, gothic novel lovers, or anyone looking for a new kind of book that will keep you on your toes. I give it five out of five stars.

1 comment:

  1. This book has been on my TBR list for so long it's ridiculous, I can't wait to read it though! Great review!

    ReplyDelete