3/21/14

The Gift of Charms (The Land of Dragor #1) by Julia Suzuki Review



    In the Land of Dragor, where dragons hide from humans, a new era is about to arise. Yoshiko was born from a multi-colored egg. There has only been one dragon whose egg was not the normal lilac color, Surion. Some say that because of his odd egg he was cursed because he brought war upon the dragons, this causes Yoshiko’s parents to fear for their son so they keep his special egg a secret. As Yoshiko grows he begins to notice that he is different from all other dragons, he can change color. Soon Yoshiko seeks out help from an old dragon that is feared by all. However, that old dragon helps Yoshiko discover his destiny. Yoshiko never could have imagined that a young dragon like him would be destined to save the Land of Dragor.
    As soon as I heard this book was about dragons, I jumped at the chance to read it. I was so happy to receive the ARC (Advanced Readers Copy) of it. This book is a middle-grade book, but if I had not been told that, I would have never known. This book had me hooked from the beginning. I was so entranced by the writing that I forgot that this book was for younger readers, and I began to fall in love with it. This book follows Yoshiko on his journey through fire school, and it also deals with him being bullied there. One of the many things I love about this book is that it deals with problems kids have at school. Yoshiko was bullied a little, but he learned to ignore it and turn the other cheek. This is only one of the many lessons in the book and that is what makes it perfect for young people and adult.
    Along with the great lessons, you get to enjoy the enchanting world of Dragor. The world building in this book blew me away because with every word I read it was as if I could see the Land of Dragor. I was thoroughly enchanted with Julia’s writing. She made me feel like I was in the story, experiencing everything and that is what I love about this book. The feeling I get when I read this book is free and magical. The plot is so creative and unique that you cannot help but feel gripped by it. The characters in this book are all so relate-able even though they are ten and eleven years old, most of them. I related to Yoshiko because he felt so useless and scared, but then he realized that he is special in his own way and cannot let others tell him any different.  The real beauty of this book is that it is not only about one little dragon who does extraordinary things, but also about a little dragon who had the courage to prove wrong those who told him that he was just a curse.
    I highly recommend this book to anyone really, but if you are looking for a world of dragons, mystery, and beautiful writing then The Gift of Charms is the book for you. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series! I give it five out of five stars!

You can follow the author of this book, Julia Suzuki, on twitter @JULIASUZUKI_UK  ! For more information about the book and author, you can visit these sites:

PERSONAL WEBSITE and BLOG:



BOOK SERIES INTERACTIVE WEBSITE:


 (Here you can visit Guya's secret cave and chose a magical charm)

YOU MAY NOW PRE-ORDER THE PAPERBACK RELEASE OF ‘THE GIFT OF CHARMS’ AT AMAZONhttp://tinyurl.com/o95ufw9

No comments:

Post a Comment